Helloooo! I have a confession.. I accidentally ate pizza for dinner on Friday night AND lunch/dinner on Saturday.
How does one accidentally eat pizza you may ask? Well.. it didn't jump into my mouth per say.. but I defiantly ate lots of pizza over the weekend.
It was delicious as pizza always it, but by the time the weekend came to an end, needless to say I felt pretty horrible.
I was craving a huge bowl of vegetables, as they seem to be what I crave when I don’t eat great and they certainly did the job. Whats your fix when you're feeling a bit flat?
The great things about a rainbow veggie bowl are you can customize it exactly how you wish. If it’s a warm summers day, you can have all fresh vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, capsicums (peppers), sprouts and avocado with a light dressing – yum!
Although Melbourne has entered Spring, we had a cold and miserable day so I decided to go with all warm vegetables.
Rainbow Veggie Bowl makes 2 big bowls
- 1 ½ cups brown rice or a grain cooked
- ½ a bunch of kale trimmed
- 2 tomatoes diced
- ½ a red onion sliced
- 1 cob of corn with corn removed OR tin of corn
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- hummus/tzatiki/dressing to garnish with
- 1 tbsp ground cumin, olive oil, s&p
- Cook your rice or grain as per packet instructions and set aside.
- In a fry pan over medium heat cook corn kernels till slightly charred. Remove and set aside
- In the same fry pan over medium heat, heat some olive oil and when hot add the garlic for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Then add the stripped kale leaves and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until leaves turn a brighter green. Remove and set aside
- In the same fry pan add a little more olive oil and sautee the sliced red onion until fragrant (2 minutes). Add the diced tomato and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until tomato has cooked down and soft. Remove and set aside
- In the same fry pan, add a little more olive oil and the grated sweet potato. Season the sweet potato with the tablespoon of ground cumin, salt and pepper and remove after 5-7 minutes.
- In a large(ish) bowl, assemble, garnish and dress then enjoy!
I also made some hummus to dollop on top because Jackson looooooves hummus.
What would YOU put in your Rainbow Veggie bowl?
I can't wait till the weather warms up just a little bit more so I can have a fresh/raw rainbow bowl.
Have a wonderful day, Bec xo